Summer will soon be here and planning the family holiday is on the horizon for many. You want to find that perfect place that will keep the kids amused but also provide the ideal haven for you relax and enjoy some well deserved sea and sunshine. So the biggest question is where to go this summer for your family holiday? Travel Counsellor Emma Savage provides some top tips and advice to help you decide where to spend your long awaited family break.
Top Tips for Family Fun in the Sun
- When you’re taking the kids it’s important that you choose your holiday carefully – even down to the airline you’re flying with, especially if you are flying long-haul. Airlines such as British Airways, Emirates and Virgin Atlantic all have a very good in flight product which will help keep older children entertained throughout the flight. Make sure you have plenty of ways to entertain little ones in-flight such as crayons, books or their favourite toy – and small presents which are well wrapped and take a while to open can make great distractions during turbulence and take-off.
- Check hand luggage restrictions before travelling and make sure you know the latest rules on carrying liquids, gels and creams, which will more than likely include milk and nappy cream for example. Chances are you’ll be able to carry them but they may have to be stored in a specific way as the rules change so often it’s best to double check.
- Travel is great for broadening the mind, even if you are 5 years old! Start getting your little ones prepared for their holiday by treating it like a project. You could watch a dvd about the destination together, or tell them a little about the food and other things which may be exciting and different to home. While you’re away and when you are home, encourage them to draw pictures of things they’ve seen to keep the holiday memories going.
- Research the destination and have a list of things to see and do should the weather let you down. This is particularly good if you are travelling in February or October Half Terms.
- Check in on line if you can – knowing you are sat together will give you peace of mind and you can turn up at the airport a little later, leaving less time to entertain the children before boarding. If you can’t allocate your seats in advance, as is the case with many low cost airlines, consider paying a little more for ‘speedy boarding’. This way you’ll get to board the aircraft first and can ensure you are sitting together.
- Choose a hotel which is geared up for children and if possible, one with a good kids club. These can give you a welcome break during the holiday but make sure you know what ages they take and the hours they operate as many only run for the high season.
Family Holiday Ideas
Mediterranean – If keeping the children occupied comes high on your agenda, then how about choosing a hotel with water slides and chutes which will keep them amused for hours? Or look for a hotel which is close to a water park. Alternatively, go for somewhere like Port Aventura in Spain which offers great accommodation with access to all the thrills and spills of a theme park – in the sun!
Caribbean – There are some excellent family friendly hotels in the Caribbean. Many of them offer great deals for families. Take a look at Beaches Resorts in Jamaica for a luxury option complete with Pirate water park, luxury accommodation and fabulous food. Or try Turtle Beach in Barbados which has a great reputation for happy family holidays.
Florida – for the ultimate family holiday, take the kids to meet Mickey Mouse. There’s so much to keep the whole family entertained in Florida, from enjoying the fantastic theme parks to relaxing by the pool after a long exciting day. Stay onsite in a Disney property for a really magical time or choose International Drive for a centrally located base. Plus with some excellent offers available for early booking, Disney can be the perfect, affordable family break.